The Technical University of Munich TUM is one of the first three Universities of Excellence in Germany. The TUM Center of Life and Food Sciences Weihenstephan WZW is addressing the geopolitical challenges of the 21st Century, foremost urgent issues of global change and food security.
The Chair of Geomorphology and Soil Science (Prof. Dr. Jörg Völkel) is seeking from January 1st 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter a Research Assistant / Postdoctoral Researcher (PostDoc, TV-L E13, full-time, temporary).
You will be working in the areas of geomorphology and soil science at the TUM campus Weihenstephan (http://geomorphologie.wzw.tum.de/) in ongoing projects, which reconstruct climate and landscape changes from geoarchives (Quaternary research), applying the results to develop scenarios for future landscape changes. This will take place in close collaboration with national and international project partners. The field work will primarily be carried out in desert environments in southern Africa (Namibia, Rep. South Africa).
- Project management and coordination in scientific and administrative areas
- Aquisition of high-quality data on geomorphodynamics, sediment displacement, weathering and soil forming processes for climate and landscape changes
- Analysis and interpretation of collected data regarding sediment character and pedogenesis and usage of the results for prognostic scenarios of landscape development
- Preparation of reports, scientific publications and proposals
- Co-supervision of students and participation in teaching for own qualification (2-4 hours per week)
- PhD in geology, geomorphology, soil science or related disciplines
- MSc degree or similar in physical geography, soil science, geoecology, earth sciences or related fields
- Very good geomorphological, sedimentological and pedological knowledge in Palaeo-Ecosystem research
- Very good knowledge in sedimentological and pedological analytics (e.g. XRD, XRF)
- Knowledge in geophysical surface prospection (GPR, ERT, SSR etc.) is desirable
- Readiness and ability for field work in desert environments (southern Africa) for several weeks
- Very good communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Very good German skills
- Very good English skills
- Driving license (European Class B or equivalent)
We offer the opportunity for scientific work and further qualifications in cutting-edge research in an internationally operating research team at the TUM campus at Weihenstephan; the Technical University of Munich offers an ideal research environment for young scientists. The position is limited to 1.5 years initially. The TUM aims to increase the proportion of women; qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply. Disabled persons will be preferred in case of equal suitability and qualification.
For more information please contact Sarah Betz, M.Sc. (+49 8161 71-2501) or Professor Völkel.
Please send us your application (including motivation letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications, copies of certificates, two referees) in written or electronic form (pdf). Please send copies only, as the applications will not be send back. The offer is open until the position is filled.
Technische Universität München TUM
Extraordinariat für Geomorphologie und Bodenkunde GeoBoku
Prof. Dr. Jörg Völkel